Powered by Blogger.

Is it His Karma?

CPP Tycoon-Senator-cum-Land-grabber Lao Meng Khin
Filling of Boeng Kak Lake by Lao Meng Khin's company, Shukaku Inc.
Residents protesting the forced eviction from Boeng Kak Lake
Residents, adults and children alike, protest the forced eviction from Boeng Kak Lake

Tuesday, June 29, 2010
True story by Khmer Borann

I have a friend who lived in Beong Kak Lake community before he and his family was evicted by the Hun Sen’s authority to make way for a CPP tycoon to develop the area for the latter's own profit. My friend finished university with me and he is a diehard supporter of the CPP.

When the residents of Koh Pich were evicted from their land and their home, many NGOs had advocated the government to respect the land law and the human rights. The same as for the residents of Dey Kraham communtity when they were evicted from their land, NGOs have done the same thing to advocate for the rights of those people. My friend who is a diehard supporter of CPP has criticized NGOs for helping the victims of land grabbing. He said the NGOs were against the development and the government. He said the government brought investment and development but NGOs as well as the opposition political parties did nothing but to destroy the country.

I had tried many times to explain to him that NGOs have never wanted to oppose the development and the government; NGOs just wanted to help the people who have been evicted unjustly. Nevertheless, my friend had never listened to what I have explained to him nor took it into consideration. Instead, he accused me of being the opposition and that I just wanted to destroy the development and the country.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP