Powered by Blogger.

Benny eventually represented the U.N.

2010-09-15-Benny_Widyono_H.jpg
Benny eventually represented the U.N. Secretary General in Cambodia
after the Killing Fields in which about two million Cambodians perished

We all have this myth that we control our lives. Benny tells it as it is:
One day, in the restroom of my floor, the 31st floor of the United Nations, I stood next to Yasushi Akashi, who just became the head of UNTAC in Cambodia. I congratulated him and asked whether he can take me along to Cambodia. Knowing me well he said yes, you will be the governor of Siemreap Province., which has Angkor Wat and is the most Khmer Rouge invested province.
I said yes as I did not want to languish in some idyllic province on the beach where nothing happened. Thus the last five years I was transferred to Cambodia, where I was at the political forefront of the political turmoil in the tragedy of Cambodia. It turned out to be the best assignment and I found out that my real fascination was with politics which I watched first hand. It is like studying while getting paid at the same time.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP